Today I made a paper kite for Rebecca, we've been singing 'Lets Go Fly a Kite' from Mary Poppins. I took two 1/8" wooden dowels, cut out a diamond of tissue paper, folded the edges over about 3/8", taped them down in three spots on each side only, because I was being paranoid about weight... silly me. I taped the dowels down to the paper at the edges and center, then taped on a ribbon with little folded triangles of tissue paper for a tail. Initially I tied the harness and string out of light thread, but after that broke a couple times Jesse found me some monofilament fishing line which worked much better. Also the tail was too light for stability, so I added a safety pin with a bell to the end. It turned out to be a fun little kite, wonky and unpredictable in the gusting wind in front of our house.
Somehow I find it amazing that you can get something you made from bits around your house to fly. So much fun!